Job / Research opportunities
On this page we share and highlight MIIA and other Machine Intelligence or Data Science related job opportunities in Africa and around the world.
We would also like to encourage the MIIA community to use our real-time community messaging platform (MIIA on Slack) to interact and share job opportunities in your part of the continent. The #jobs channel on Slack can for example be utilised for this purpose. Please let us know via Slack or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any ideas or recommendations in this regard.
MIIA related job opportunities
- As we get more momentum, we need leaders/managers within the MIIA community to volunteer and help drive various activities. We anticipate various roles to be filled on a volunteer basis of which some can become full-time employment and/or contracted positions:
- Technology Managers
- Training & Events Coordinator(s)
- Project Coordinator
- Website Content Manager
- Geographical Community Leaders
- Project Leaders
- Africa Specialists
- Machine Intelligence Leaders
- Data Science Leaders
- Partnerships Manager
- Funding Manager
- Nominations and recommendations in this regard are welcome at email@example.com.
Machine Intelligence and Data Science related job / research opportunities
Data Science Related Jobs in South Africa via Jooble
Analyst – Business Modelling – Client Capabilities Network
Medscheme: Advanced Specialist – Data Scientist – Advanced Analytics Team
Position available from May 2018
DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowship in Sub-Saharan Africa at AIMS South Africa
Applications are invited for the DAAD funded postdoctoral fellowship in Mathematics at AIMS South Africa under the supervision of Dr. Bubacarr Bah, the German Research Chair for Mathematics with specialization in Data Science, see details in https://www.aims.ac.za/en/opportunities/vacancies/postdoctoral-fellowships. The research area will be Data Science in a very broad sense. Applications will be submitted through the DAAD portal found at https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?origin=136&status=2&subjectGrps=C&daad=1&q=postdoctoral%20fellowship&page=1&detail=57407689#bewerbung%20.
In recognition of the higher cost of living in South Africa compared to other Sub-saharan African countries, the salary offered by DAAD will be topped-up by AIMS South Africa and the amount of top-up will be negotiated with the candidate. Furthermore, the candidate will be provided with a laptop and he/she will have the opportunity to spend time in Germany working with Dr. Bah’s collaborators.
Closing date for applications: 15 January 2018
DAAD funded postdoctoral fellowship in Data Science at AIMS South Africa
Applications are invited for the DAAD funded postdoctoral fellowship in Data Science at AIMS South Africa under the supervision of Dr Bubacarr Bah, the German Research Chair for Data Science. The research area will be Data Science (in a very broad sense). For further details see: https://www.aims.ac.za/en/opportunities/vacancies/postdoctoral-fellowships
Applications will be submitted through the DAAD portal found here: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/datenbank/en/21148-scholarship-database/?origin=136&status=2&subjectGrps=C&daad=1&q=postdoctoral%20fellowship&page=1&detail=57407689#bewerbung%20
PLEASE NOTE: In recognition of the higher cost of living in South Africa compared to other Sub-Saharan African countries, the salary offered by DAAD will be topped-up by AIMS South Africa and the amount of top-up will be negotiated with the candidate.
Lecturer: Computer Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Stellenbosch University
Stellenbosch University Computer Science division is advertising for a lecturer position, closing date for applications is 21 April. http://cs.sun.ac.za/~kroon/quick/cs_lecturer_ad_201704.pdf
Contract position available in UK for Machine Learning Engineer
Role and responsibilities
• Responsible for “productionizing” ML models in a big data environment
• Available to help with quality control of Spark code written by data scientists
• Responsible for reverse engineering R or Python scripts
• Responsible for scaling up algorithms on big data environment
• Responsible for taking experimental ML pipelines turning them into resilient production grade code
• Responsible for extracting re-usable code to generic libraries and ML workflows
• Available to help architecting data science / big data applications
• Expert in big data processing and extreme scalability
• Expert in Map Reduce paradigm design pattern
• Expert in SW design patterns and able to act as a champion for good SW design
• Good experience with Spark
• Proven experience deploying lambda like architecture
• Not afraid of torturing unstructured data on both batch and stream
• Expert in packaging Spark / MapReduce code for production use
• Expert in both (Java || Scala) && Python
• Good knowledge of graph (Pregel)
• Understand Data science, ML experience a ++ (can explain basic concepts)
• Obsessed with code quality / packaging (CI)
• 10yr+ experience in SW engineering
• 3yr+ experience in distributed computing
• 1yr+ experience working alongside data scientists
• Working from London office
insight2impact | i2i, a facility advancing the impact of data in financial inclusion, has a Data Science Associate (DSA) position available in their Applications Lab team. For more details about this position see the following job description: Data Science Associate – Applications Lab
The DSA will be responsible, together with the Application Lab team, to achieve the i2i’s objective to increase the use of client centric data by FSPs, and will focus particularly on big data and the use of alternative data and analytical methodologies. The DSA will also focus on developing Data Science skills within FSPs. This will be achieved through direct engagement with FSPs including the provision of technical support to FSPs to generate and implement innovative data and analytics in decision making. i2i’s Applications Lab team will also provide technical assistance to external analytics and related institutions in order to crowd in developers and entrepreneurs to catalyse innovation in the use of APIs, analysis, analytical tools and open data projects
insight2impact | i2i was established by FinMark Trust and Cenfri in 2015 to respond to a growing need among financial inclusion stakeholders for a facility to inform and support data initiatives, as well as drive collaboration to improve the sophistication, accuracy and consistency of data used in the design of effective programmes, policies and products. i2i seeks to be the leading global facility for the effective measurement and use of high quality, client-centric data to unlock development outcomes through financial inclusion. i2i is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in partnership with The MasterCard Foundation.
GetSmarter is currently looking for a subject matter expert in the Big Data space to teach and assess students on the presentation of a MIT recognised online short course entitled Big Data and Social Analytics.
Start Date: July 2016